The Jones Beach Bandshell is about to experience a resurgence. After three years of obscurityyouThe free concert series on the Jones Beach boardwalk (Field 4) has announced dates for summer 2022.
“People on Long Island live for the summer. They go to the beach during the day and listen to these great live bands at night by the water,” says Guy Brogna, co-promoter of G&R Events. ‘Them come to every show.’
Bob Blickwede, co-promoter of A Bob Production, adds: “The pandemic has been financially difficult for people, so these free shows for families are important. Also, these are bands you would normally only see late at night in a club and we play the shows early enough that everyone can come. This series is a true return to the community.
Although the full program is not yet known, here are some shows currently booked:
- Desert Highway recreates the music of the Eagles on July 29 at 7 p.m. Opening act: Jill Gioia.
- Freebird pays tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd on July 30 at 7 p.m. Opening act: Ten Ton Mojo.
- Discover the music of Led Zeppelin with Misty Mountain on August 6 at 8 p.m.
- Relive Mick Jagger’s swagger as Streetfighter plays the Rolling Stones catalog on August 12 at 8 p.m.
- Watch Beyond Fab as they tip their hats to the Beatles on August 13 at 8 p.m.
- Don’t miss Half Step’s tribute to the Grateful Dead on August 19 at 8 p.m.
- David Clark will sing the songs of the Piano Man in his show “All About Joel” on August 26 at 7 p.m. Opening act: Otan Vargas.
- Filming 2 Thrill AC/DC channels on August 27 at 7 p.m. Opening act: Emerald Rising.
“Hanging out with all the smiling rock and roll families as the sun goes down and the stars come out is just awesome,” said former WBAB DJ Keith Fingers, who will host some of the concerts. “I’m so happy to be back at the beach!”
The shows, which can hold more than 2,500 people, are held on a first-come, first-served basis. Visitors are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets to sit on. There’s a concession stand next to the bandstand if you fancy a snack.