The man accused of kidnapping four-year-old Cleo Smith from his campsite in Western Australia will face court on a new charge.

Judicial listings show that Terence Darrell Kelly, 36, was charged by police with assaulting a public official in Carnarvon on November 4 last year – the same date Kelly first appeared before the court in connection with Cleo’s disappearance.

He is scheduled to appear in Carnarvon Magistrates’ Court on January 24, where details of the new charge are expected to be revealed.

Kelly, who has been remanded in custody, is accused of taking Cleo from her family’s tent to the remote Blowholes campsite. He faces several charges, including that of forcibly taking a child under the age of 16.

Cleo was found safe and sound in early November, 18 days after she disappeared from the campsite.

She was rescued from a property minutes from her family home in the nearby town of Carnarvon, nearly 1,000 km north of Perth.

The police broke into the house and found the little girl alone in a room, physically unharmed and playing with toys.

Kelly was arrested on a nearby street around the same time. He is said to have acted alone and has yet to plead against his charges.

Police said he had no ties to Cleo’s family.

Kelly was shackled and accompanied by armed riot squad guards on a charter flight from Carnarvon to Perth after her first court appearance.

Additional security was put in place after Kelly was hospitalized twice with self-inflicted injuries while in detention.

Bail was not considered when Kelly returned to court last month for a video link appearance from Casuarina prison.

Associated Australian Press