CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WAVY) – Whether running, hooping, swimming or wrestling, some student-athletes attending Chesapeake public schools will now host the weekly COVID-19 testing routine.

“It’s just another layer of protection to keep our athletes and students safe and get them back to the field that they’ve missed so much over the past year and a half. Everyone is just thrilled to be there and play again, ”said Student Activities Supervisor Kevin Cole.

Monday marked the vaccination deadline for Chesapeake public school college athletes. A week before it was the deadline for their high school students. This includes those who participate in extracurricular activities.

Click here to subscribe to daily WAVY newsletter emails.

Program administrator for health services, Trudy Jelderks, says about 55% of the high school student body on sports teams is vaccinated. This means that the remaining 45% will need to be tested regularly in the future. This includes about 10% of the students on the lists who did not say what they were planning to do.

“By testing students, not only are we protecting the school, but we are also protecting the school they are playing against because we know the school is not going to take it back and cause impact and disruption to their school. . Jelderks said.

Chesapeake is one of many local school divisions requiring COVID-19 vaccines or regular testing, including Portsmouth, Suffolk and Virginia Beach.

Jelderks says they have identified a schedule with each of the schools and have no plans to remove students from their classes for testing. Thus, they coordinated the tests on the arrivals, departures and lunchtime of the students in one of the schools. A vendor called Mako will administer the tests.

“What’s important to know is that this is a low nasal swab, so it’s not a very intrusive test compared to what some tests have been in the past. therefore, most people agree with the test, ”Jelderks said.

Jelderks says students will be tested once a week and there is a make-up day if they need it. The results take about 20 hours to arrive.

The high school tests started last Monday and she says they passed through all of the schools without any incident. Testing at all 10 colleges is expected to start in the first weeks of December. If you have any questions about this process, you can find a link to the FAQ by clicking here.

Download the WAVY News app to stay up to date with the latest news, weather and sports from WAVY-TV 10. Available in both Apple and google play stores.